Saturday, August 22, 2009

First Week at UGA: Towing THURSDAY

10:00am. I leave the house and travel down to campus via my black honda accord which I am absolute IN LOVE with! With absolutely no place to park I once again settle for a "visitor's parking" place at a nearby apartment complex (same place as yesterday). I then proceed to walk up Baldwin street and then down Sanford Drive, turning in to the Miller Learning Center before walking past the football stadium. I sit myself on a bench outside of room 148 as I wait for my anthropology class to begin. Two girls come and sit next to me, and I can't help but overhear their conversation. One of the girls is talking about the class she just got out of, a woman's studies class, and she is speaking very highly of her new understanding of being a woman while also discussing her favoritism of feminism (I smile silently to myself as I am very much against the feminist movement). Her friend next to her pulls out a small book from her backpack entitled "Human Evolution," and their conversation slowly moves towards the reading of that book. As I hear their conversation continue, I am able to put two and two together and realize that they are both waiting for the same anthropology class that I am, and that reading this "Human Evolution" book is the first assignment of the course. "OH NO! What have I gotten myself into."

I enter the room, introduce myself to the professor and the TA, grap a syllabus, and settle for a seat in the middle left side. More students slowly trickle in, the room slowly fills up to about 150 people. Before beginning the class, the professor asks for a show of hands of all the freshman in the room; my hand goes up along with only about 4 or 5 others. Even though the class is "Intro to Anthropology," most of the people there are older than I. The professor started by talking about our place, as humans, in time and space. He proceeded to draw on the board a timeline of the beginning of the word starting 5 billion years ago. As a Bible believing Christian, I take the account of Genesis more literally in that I believe in a young earth, that God created that earth and that He took six 24-hour days to do so. I believe the earth is between 8,000 and 10,000 years old. So, because of all this, I do not believe anything that my teacher is saying when he says that vertebrates evolved around 3 billion years ago, and then humans somewhere around 500 million years ago and so on. However, I am still frantically taking notes and drawing down everything bit I can of the timeline. I have started reading the Human Evolution book and find it fascinating and very interesting, even though my point of view is on the complete opposite side of the spectrum. If anything, this class is going to help me think about where the "other side" comes from as far as the beginning of the world. Before the class was over the professor told us to write and essay about our views on this timeline. I am always looking for ways to talk about God around campus, and this essay was yet another way for me to do so. I am very excited about this class and can't wait until Tuesday morning when I get to go to it again. I do ask for your prayers in this that if I ever get a chance to challenge something in class that I will able to do it with love and respect but at the same time speaking truth!

After class was over I walked back to the place where my car is parked, technically illegally parked, only to find it not there. Yes, it had been towed, as the title of this blog says. I call my mom and to make a very long story short, my dad came and picked me up, we drove to get my car, and had to pay $125 to get it back (the place gave me a free t-shirt though) and I've actually already worn it. The quick summary of that might make it seem like it was no big deal, but in reality, it was HUGE to me. I was bawling and was actually really scared. My dad said it's just another experience of my college days to tell about. Now, I don't have to worry about a parking spot because I was able to purchase one for the whole semester for a very reasonable price. And guess where there parking spot is...in the very same apartment complex that I got towed from. Except this time I have spot 104 in the back and a sticker on my car to make it legal. No more parking worries!

After getting my car back and cleaning up my make-up from crying so much, I went back to campus, parked in my own spot, and studied for a few hours at the student center. I went to Chemistry class that night, and afterwards, went and played glow-in-the-dark ultimate frisbee at the intramural fields at UGA with The Connection group. My team didn't win, we actually lost miserably, but I did launch a scoring throw as well as make a few good catches. It rained that night, and that's when I ended up wearing my free towing shirt. I got home later that night and washed off my dirty, grassy feet because I played barefoot. I was really glad to climb into bed that night.

4 days down, 1 to go...

1 comment:

Tiffany Owens said...

Hey Catherine!
This reminds me of my AP Environmental Science class that I took, where, even though I had opposing viewpoints, I had to learn all this stuff for the tests, etc. I would encourage you to stock up on some resources, like www.answersingenesis.com and Lee Strobel's book, "Case for a Creator" because you will find some seriously amazing presentations of information from this evolutionary worldview, and honestly, if you're not ready, they will rock your boat. Science is always the harder discipline to be an effective in when you're coming from a "faith-based" WV. I would recommend reading a few chapters from Strobel's book for your paper and checking out some things on the website...

You should post your paper on your blog ^_^ I'd love to read it!

- Tiffany