Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Post-Missions' Trip Update

I sit down to write this blog and it’s always hard to decide how to begin.  I know exactly what I want to say, but it’s hard to formulate it into language that will be understandable for everyone, rather than me just rambling on in Catherine-words.  There’s so much to tell about the past 3 weeks, but yet I don’t want to bore you with unnecessary details.  So I guess I’ll just start writing and trust that what comes out is what needs to be said.

First of all, a big, ginormous THANK YOU to any and all of you who supported me financially.  I have barely any money to my name so going on two international missions’ trips this summer could’ve been a big drain on my already empty bank account.  I physically could not have done them without you and for that I am extremely thankful.  Another huge THANK YOU to all of you who prayed for me during the past 3 weeks.  Both trips were physically, mentally, emotionally, and spiritually challenging and draining; thus, I needed an extra dose of Jesus to get me through.  Probably the cutest and most encouraging thing I experienced before I even left was getting to see my 3 littlest cousins (ages 4, 3 and 2).  I had dinner with them and they told me that they had been praying for me every night for the past week prior to my trip because they knew I was “going to Guatemala to tell people about God because they didn’t know God.”  My mom spend even more time with these boys while I was in Guatemala, and she said they continued to pray for me every night while I was gone.  What an encouragement that even the littlest in the Kingdom are praying for the missionaries.

Guatemala (June 9-15)
My heart was captured by this country on the trip last year, and I feel deeper in love during this year’s trip.  We spent most of the week preparing a road to be paved (which a team down there this week is actually pouring the concrete for).  This road leads into the property of Engadi Ministries where the boys’ homes will one day be built.  We were also able to go into a school in Zone 18 in Guatemala (one of the poorest, most dangerous areas of Guatemala).  In this school, we were able to paint a few of the classrooms.  The children that went to school there were so excited and encouraged that we were there.  Most of these children live in one room houses made from scrap metal.  Seeing paint on their school room walls make the rooms so bright and happy that they children are even more excited to be going to school.  As we left the school, all the students were lined up by their classrooms shouting “thank you, thank you” to us as we passed by.

 Painting in the schools...I guess I had a supervisor. 

Our team after the last day of work.  We widened this road by 2 feet on both sides.


Honduras (June 22-29)
Orphanage Emmanuel is not what you’d first expect an orphanage to be.  First of all, most of the kids have parents, but they have been taken away from them by the country because of abuse or neglect.  So it’s not technically an orphanage, and you can’t adopt out of it.  You can however sponsor children from the orphanage, which is how Emmanuel gets the majority of its funds.  The children go to school during the day and while they did, we would do some tasks around the property.  These included harvesting fish from their tilapia farm, working in the greenhouse, butchering pigs, and pouring concrete.  I personally only participated in the first two.  The last three days we were there, I spent a great deal of time around the toddler and infant house, playing with the children on the playground.  During the afternoon, after the kids came home from school, we would do a Bible story, crafts and play games with the “small boys” group (the ages being  around 4-9).  These children loved us and only wanted to play and cuddle with us.  You’ll see a few pictures of the children who touched my heart the most.
 Santos

 Josue

 Oscar
Manuel (braiding my hair) and Richard (sitting in my lap)
People have asked me which trip was my favorite. I can’t answer that because the trips were both so different.  My heart has been gripped by Guatemala and Engadi Ministries, but the children worked their way into my heart when I was at Orphanage Emmanual.  The real test for me is “would I go back?”…and the answer is yes for both trips.

  Isaac and me in Antigua, Guatemala (volcano in the background).

Isaac and me at Orphanage Emmanuel


No comments: