Sunday, December 28, 2008

Oh Mister Sun, Sun, Mister Golden Sun, please shine down on me!










Greetings from the Sunshine State, more commonly known as Florida. For the final week of my Christmas break I am in sunny West Palm Beach, Florida basking in the beautiful ball of fire! I'm trying to tan up for the trip to Brazil, which is 12 days from today!


Although I'm in Florida, you're probably wondering why I'm wearing so many winter clothes in the above pictures. Well, those pictures capture the essence of the first week of my Christmas break this year. For me, December 12th-18th was the first time I was able to go home since we moved to Georgia this summer. After almost 6 months of being away, my parents blessed me with the best Christmas present-a trip to Wisconsin! Let me just tell you that it was the best week of my life and by far the best Christmas present that I ever received. I was able to see every one that I wanted to see, and spend extra time with those that I really wanted to, and never felt rushed. It was quality and quantity time. It was especially nice to see all my closest friends! I missed them so much! It was hard to leave again, but it was well worth it!

One thing the Lord really impressed on me more deeply while I was in Wisconsin was that He wants to use me, ALL of me. So, before I conclude this blog entry I want to include an excerpt from my journal...


>One day while being back home, I went to see one of my friends at her secular college. For me, being there was incredibly eye opening. I felt kind of discouraged as I listened to some of the students talk about how wasted they got that weekend, who’s sleeping with whom and heard all the language and taking of the Lord’s name in vain. My though the whole time was “Lord, I feel as though you want me to go to a secular college to make a difference, but how am I supposed to make a difference in this-there's so much to do?” Through all this discouraging thought, I felt the Lord telling me over and over, “I’m going to use you in subtle ways. It might be just the fact that you don’t drink, sleep around, or swear, but I will use you.” That was such a comforting thought.<


Psalm 23:4
"Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me."

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This reminds me of some of what Jesus taught. If you want to be great in God's kingdom, you must become a servant. He did not come to be served but to serve. God will use us how He chooses AND how we can best IMPACT His kingdom. Catherine, you are already impacting His kingdom!

Unknown said...

Katherine,
No matter where you go to college, secular, private, not at all, or 8 years of medical training, He will use your presence in a dark world. Without you even trying the light of Christ will shine to others because Christ is in you. You will be a fragrant aroma of Christ. People will wonder what makes you different. People will notice that you don't say certain things, do certain things, or carry yourself in the way much of the world does. I am so excited to see in Heaven(I hope God lets us see) the impact your living for His glory will have had on others.

Heidi Erickson